We are holding our classes at their normal days and times. Each student should have their school Chromebook and a charger at home. Mentors have created links to video calls so that students can join class sessions remotely and will communicate these to the students via Google Classroom and email. We are also using the features of the Quest! app and Google Classroom to track artifact work and post other class information. We have practiced using these tools with students so they know how classes will function.
Our general expectations as we operate using distance learning are as follows:
• Students are expected to join their regular classes remotely, at the regular time, and participate daily.
• Mentors will take attendance each class based upon students who are present on the video call and interacting with the class session.
• Mentors will be available for online help (video, email, etc.) during the regularly scheduled class times, as well as some scheduled “office hours.”
• Mentors will give daily direction to students to help students set daily goals and expectations on work that should be completed each class session.
• Students should find a place that allows them to connect to class sessions and interact productively. This would mean keeping them free from other distractions when they are in learning mode. I would suggest trying to find a place that is quiet, where the TV and other devices are turned off, and where they won’t be distracted by siblings and others.
This is new territory for all of us, and we will all need to work cooperatively and communicate calmly and patiently to implement this plan effectively.
If you have questions or concerns about how this plan might work for your student, please contact me at email@example.com or 402-312-5885. Our goal will always be to provide the most productive learning environment possible for our students — either in person, or remotely.